My first automobile project

Before Al Yu's class, I had an irrational fear of trying to draw certain things. I was always really scared to try drawing anything mechanical, particularly automobiles. Once he showed me how you break things down into a basic shape first, I finally tried jumping into it.

At first I was super confused about what I was trying to do just to get a car out on paper, forget even making this car have a specific design or purpose. I vaguely had the idea to make it a multipassenger vehicle... and I wasted a lot of paper drawing things in just side view and getting myself really confused. Al suggested to try drawing it in a turned semi-perspective view to show both the side and the front at once. Weirdly, doing both parts at once made it easier for me to think about the design.

I came back with this weird combo of a bus/train/minivan

Thinking about trying to make it look stronger or more structurally sound. I didn't like how the minivan train looked just like a regular minivan, so I came up with this design with intersecting triangles and a taller front end for standing passengers. + for finally learning how to use Copic markers with a straightedge.

People said: "What's up with the cat ears on this bus?"
Totally unintended! Well, I guess what's wrong with painting it yellow and making it into a NekoBus tribute? LOL

Then, at a loss for what to do next, I just went back to the old design, gave it a domed roof, larger SUV wheels and a graphic treatment.

The next phase of the design later...

Comments

Popular Posts